Manus Island regime will cost Australia up to $250 million a year after closure. The Sydney Morning Herald 23/10/2017
The Law Council of Australia has labelled as “truly extraordinary” the Immigration Minister’s remarks about lawyers representing asylum seekers. The nation’s peak legal body has hit out at Immigration Minister Peter Dutton for claiming lawyers who represent certain asylum seekers are un-Australian. SBS News 29 August 2017
Asylum seekers given three-week deadline to leave government housing. Dozens of asylum seekers living in Australia after receiving medical treatment lost their $200 fortnightly welfare payment from Monday. They have three weeks to leave their government housing, an Immigration department notice has confirmed. SBS News 28 August 2017
Cleaners returned to the compound after unhygienic conditions saw 20 people admitted to the medical clinic for treatment Sun 19/8/2017.
Liberal MP Russell Broadbent speaks out against his party (Wed16/8/2017) ‘Asylum seekers on Manus & Nauru should be resettled in Australia. Those found to be genuine refugees should not be left to languish in indefinite detention if they are not resettled in the US.’
Sunday 6 August has seen the biggest protest so far inside the Manus Island detention centre to stop the closure of Foxtrot compound.
Hundreds gathered at the Foxtrot compound calling for the power to be officially restored; “informal” wiring by refugee electricians has re-establish power to the compound, since power was officially cut off on 1 August.
Refugees afraid, confused as Manus detention centre shutdown begins, The removal of the detention centre on Manus Island is in full swing and will soon come to an end – but there are many refugees and asylum seekers still living there with nowhere to go. SBS News 9 July 2017
May 15, 2017 – Asylum seekers on Manus Island have been told they must leave the Australian-funded detention centre so it can be closed. … Refugees have option of relocating to transit centre, settling in PNG, or returning to countries of origin. … Papua
Peter Dutton says refugee advocates ‘can bleat all they want’ after PM , Malcolm Turnbull avoids questions about where men on Manus Island will be sent if US does not accept them all. The Guardian 9 April 2017
New Guinea immigration officials told the more than 800 men in the detention centre that demolition work would start soon on parts of the accommodation. Power and water cuts, demolition works in progress-
As 2016 drew to a close, announcements of ‘deals’ with the USA (announced Sunday 13 November 2016) to resettle some of the transferees from Manus Island, PNG and Nauru in America come with little detail and assurances. It is clear that not all of the people transferred to PNG and Nauru will be resettled under this deal. The deal is overshadowed by the election results in the USA.
26 April 2016, the Supreme Court of Papua New Guinea found that the Centre breached the PNG constitution’s right to personal liberty, and was thus illegal. It said:
“ Both the Australian and Papua New Guinea governments shall forthwith take all steps necessary to cease and prevent the continued unconstitutional and illegal detention of the asylum seekers or transferees at the relocation centre on Manus Island …
November 2013, Amnesty International reported the situation amounted to “arbitrary detention” and “cruel inhuman and degrading treatment”
January 2013, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees(UNHCR) mission to Manus Island stated, “the practice of detaining all asylum seekers at the closed centre amounts to arbitrary detention that is inconsistent with international human rights law”
November 2012, Manus Island Regional Processing Centre (RPC) reopened by Gillard Government.